No one likes sitting in a dentist’s chair and having the dentist poke and prod their teeth and mouth. You can avoid this unpleasant activity by caring for your teeth at home using the best dental care at home practices.
This article will outline the best dental care practices so you don’t need to spend long hours in the dental chair.
Brush Your Teeth
Brush your teeth twice daily, once in the morning, ideally after breakfast, and again at night before sleeping. For best results, brush for two minutes using gentle strokes and a soft toothbrush. Don’t forget to brush your back teeth, front teeth, and behind the teeth. Leave no areas neglected.
Brush Your Tongue
Plaque can build up on your tongue and cause bad breath and cavities. Additionally, minimize plaque by brushing your tongue after you brush your teeth. You can use your toothbrush or a special tongue brush.
Floss Your Teeth
Floss your teeth at least once a day. Here are the steps for effective flossing:
1. Break off an 18” string of floss. Wind it around your middle fingers. Leave a 1-2” space for the flossing activity. Use your thumbs to guide the floss.
2. Wrap the floss around your tooth in a C-shape. Work your way up and down the tooth in a zig-zag motion. Get into the gum line as well.
Rinse Your Mouth
A mouthwash will wash away residue left behind after brushing and flossing. Look for a mouthwash that:
· Has an ADA seal that indicates it’s approved by the American Dental Association
· Has fluoride to strengthen teeth
· Has antibacterial or antiseptic properties to fight germs and minimize plaque
· Other properties specific to your needs
However, be aware that mouthwash with alcohol can dry out your mouth. If you are prone to dry mouth, try an alcohol-free product.
Don’t Use Tobacco Products
Here are some eye-opening statistics about tobacco products and oral health:
· Tobacco products are linked to gum disease, oral cancer, and other health issues.
· 40% of smokers have untreated tooth decay
· 43% of smokers over 65 have lost all their teeth
If you use tobacco products and want healthy teeth, consider quitting.
Limit Sugary Items
Sugar interacts with bacteria found in plaque to create an acidic environment in the mouth. The acid dissolves tooth enamel and forms cavities. In some instances, an abscess may form, and the tooth must be removed.
You can improve dental health by avoiding sugary foods. Sticky, sugary food is particularly bad for dental health. If you eat sugar, do so at mealtimes. Brush your teeth soon after.
Eat Crunchy Fruits and Veggies
Crunchy fruits and veggies that contain a lot of water clean your teeth naturally. They stimulate saliva production to wash away bacteria and food particles. Also, they contain vitamins and minerals that benefit oral health.
See Your Dentist Regularly
Maintain a high level of dental health by scheduling dental appointments twice a year. Your dentist will thoroughly clean your teeth. They will identify any issues and resolve them before they become more severe.
Absolute Smile is a top name in dental care providers. We provide a wide variety of services. Our gentle approach and caring attitude have made thousands of customers happy.
Contact us to discover how we can take your oral health to the next level.