If you have crooked or misaligned teeth, you’ve likely considered the choice between Invisalign and braces. Which one is the right choice for you? Correcting misaligned teeth is essential and can reduce your risk of needing another tooth repair later. So, let’s examine Invisalign vs. braces to see which is the best for you.
Invisalign vs. Braces – What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a brand of clear orthodontic aligners that correct crooked and misaligned teeth. The mouthpieces are custom-made to fit your teeth, and gently push them and reposition them over time.
Advantages of Invisalign
Invisalign offers numerous benefits to patients, including,
- They are comfortable to wear
- Removable for ease of brushing, eating foods, and routine dental cleanings
- Treatment is fast, usually about 12 months
- The clear Invisalign aligners are discreet
Disadvantages of Invisalign
While Invisalign has clear advantages, the aligners have drawbacks as well.
- Invisalign can’t correct complex misalignments
- It would help if you had the discipline to wear them for at least 20 hours a day
- It would help if you remembered to put them back on after eating
Invisalign vs. Braces – What Are Braces?
Braces have been around for years and have always been the go-to for tooth straightening. Usually metal, these are brackets affixed to the teeth and connected by a thin metal band. Braces are tightened at each visit to move teeth and adjust their placement in the mouth.
The Benefits of Braces
Braces offer patients several benefits that should be considered.
- Braces work well for correcting severe and complex misalignments
- You have multiple options for braces, including discreet ceramic braces
- You don’t remove them, so you don’t have to remember to put them back in
Drawbacks of Braces
While braces are often the go-to for misaligned tooth repair in Philadelphia, they have their drawbacks.
- Braces can cause discomfort and minor cuts to the cheek
- Most styles of braces are easy to notice
- It would help if you avoided certain types of foods with braces
- Braces require more doctor visits and take longer to complete adjustment (up to 3 years)
- Because braces stay on the tooth for so long, you can see variability in tooth color after removal
Are Braces or Invisalign Right for You?
Because braces and Invisalign have advantages and disadvantages, you must consider your needs carefully. They are an excellent choice if you don’t have severe tooth misalignment and can discipline yourself to keep your Invisalign in for the time needed each day. On the other hand, if you have severe misalignments or need complex corrections to your teeth, braces will be far more beneficial.
Our expert dentists can look at your needs and the goals you have for your smile to help you make the best decision for your oral health.
Are You Looking for Braces, Invisalign, or Dental Cleaning in Philadelphia?
If it’s been a while since you’ve been to the dentist, Absolute Smile is here for you. Contact us for an appointment for you and your whole family.