Dental implants are a popular procedure for tooth replacement. They are attractive, look natural, and don’t require nightly removal. They are a permanent solution, which is why people love them. Are dental implants safe, though? The short answer is yes. The long answer: there are things you should know before you decide on any medical or dental procedure, including dental implants.
Dental Implants: Philadelphia’s Tooth Replacement Solution
Dental implants provide four major benefits for patients,
- They look and feel like natural teeth
- They don’t slip the way that dentures or loose bridges can
- They are permanent and stable
- They help prevent jawbone deterioration that can follow tooth loss
What Can Delay or Prevent Dental Implants?
As with any procedure, dental implants have some risks. These conditions can delay a dental implant procedure,
- Active periodontal disease
- Your dentist in Philadelphia can restore gum health with treatment
- Lack of healthy bone to hold the implant in place
- A graft or other procedure can rebuild bone
- Some chronic disorders such as diabetes or heart disease
- Your dentist will review your health history to see what precautions can be taken and if you can proceed with a dental implant
Who Should Not Have Dental Implants?
For most people, dental implants are a safe solution. Dental implants use titanium, a durable metal that is biocompatible for most people. However, if you have an allergy to copper, nickel, zinc, or lead, you could have a negative reaction to titanium, and your dentist will recommend against dental implants. If you already have other metal tooth fillings, those can also interact with the titanium implants. Your dentist will look at your dental health and allergies to determine if dental implants are right for you.
What to Expect When You Get Dental Implants in Philadelphia
At Absolute Smile, our dental team is committed to your safety and comfort. We know that any procedure can seem daunting, so we want you to feel prepared when you walk into our offices. We begin with,
- A thorough dental exam to determine oral health and what you need
- A review of your medical history including medications, chronic illnesses, and allergies
- Creating your treatment plan – how many teeth will be replaced and if we need to take additional steps before implementing your dental implant surgery
The exact process for your dental implant procedure will depend on your treatment plan and how many teeth we are replacing. When we review your treatment plan with you, we will make sure you understand all the steps coming up. Whatever your specific plan, you can expect,
- The removal of damaged teeth
- Dental implant placement
- Recovery time
- Molding of replacement teeth
- Tooth placement
Are You Looking for Dental Implants in Philadelphia?
If you are in Bucks County and considering dental implants, contact us today to make an appointment. Dental implants provide you with a stable, permanent solution for tooth loss. They return your smile and allow you to live your best life. Our dentists in Philadelphia will look at your dental history, health, and lifestyle needs to find the options that best suit you.