Do you feel less-than-confident about your smile? If you have discolored or chipped teeth, you may hesitate to offer a full smile or feel anxious when you’re talking or eating with friends. Porcelain veneers help people throughout Philadelphia flash pearly whites with confidence. If you’ve been thinking about cosmetic dentistry for your smile, then look at the benefits of porcelain veneers in Philadelphia, PA.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are wafer-thin pieces of porcelain custom-fit to your mouth and placed over the front of your teeth. We bond them permanently to your teeth in order to correct discoloration or fix damage to your teeth.
Our dental experts routinely use porcelain veneers to fix:
- Teeth that are discolored from causes including,
- Root canal treatment
- Stains from medications
- Excessive fluoride
- Large resin fillings
- Worn-down teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped teeth
- Gaps between teeth
Advantages of Porcelain Veneers
In addition to repairing discoloring, misalignment, or damage to your teeth, porcelain veneers offer our patients a number of other benefits as well.
- They look natural. Porcelain looks more like a natural tooth and can also be colored to match the exact color of your natural teeth.
- Gums tolerate the porcelain material well. Porcelain is a body-safe material that causes little or no irritation to gums.
- They are stain-resistant. Porcelain resists staining from everyday use, making it ideal for dental veneers.
- They are strong and long-lasting. With proper care, porcelain veneers last for years through daily use.
- They are easy to maintain. Your veneers don’t need special care. Just brush and floss your teeth regularly and take care not to bite down on hard substances that can normally chip teeth.
- The procedure for veneers is easier than other procedures like crowns. Veneers require only a small amount of enamel to be removed from your teeth for bonding and require less shaping than crowns. Many of our patients love their veneers because the procedure to bond them is so easy.
Risks of Porcelain Veneers
Every dental procedure has its benefits and risks. We want to ensure that you enjoy your veneers for years to come. Our dental care experts will help you make a decision about your cosmetic dental choices considering the following,
- Porcelain veneers are permanent and cannot be removed.
- Once in place, your veneer’s color cannot be changed (so procedures like teeth-whitening should be done before you get your veneers)
- Due to the removal of enamel, your teeth may become sensitive to hot or cold foods and drinks.
- Teeth can experience decay beneath the veneer, so good oral hygiene is important to healthy teeth and veneers.
- Veneers can chip or crack or become dislodged, so avoid chewing on hard objects or biting on nails or other objects.
- You should avoid veneers if you have,
- Active decay
- Gum disease
- Weakened teeth
- Too little enamel on the tooth surface
We will evaluate your dental health and examine your teeth to ensure porcelain veneers are the perfect choice for you.
Are You Looking for a Dentist in Southampton?
If you’re looking for porcelain veneers or a dentist in Southampton, Absolute Smile is here for you. Contact us for an appointment for you and your whole family.